We are thankful for all our health care heroes. Here’s a summary of shout outs featured in the Daily Updates from May 8-14, plus our favorite video and favorite social post from the past week:
Thank you to these and ALL of our awesome UofL Health team members who are doing extraordinary things during this time of crisis:
- I’d like to shout out Jay McGuire, at the Sleep Disorders Center at ULP. He is the most understanding, helpful, personable leadership personnel that I have ever had. Without him, I do not think that I would have been able to fulfill my true potential here at ULP.
- I would like to give a shout out to the 3E, 3S, 3N, and INBC staff including Managers, Nurses, Mental Health Workers, Behavioral Analysts, and Intervention Specialists at Peace Hospital. They have all had to rearrange everything that they usually do with their individual units to mix groups of patients together to accommodate isolation unit needs. They are dealing with very acute and difficult milieu’s during this time and have kept a wonderful attitude while doing so. They are all working their hardest every day to serve our patients, and deserve recognition! We are so thankful for them all!
- I would like to give a shout out to Desiree Bell, Front office manager for Urogynecology Department. Desiree has been working tirelessly on keeping our office functioning and maintaining a safe environment for both patients and staff. Desiree implemented telehealth and trained staff within days of this service being offered. She has organized our office so all providers are seeing patients but in a systematic and social distancing way. She has been working on billing and insurance while having several of her staff members gone. She personally cleans our office before she leaves and has continuously been helping everyone with the day to day issues and new changes. She Makes time for everyone and has been training new employees while this is going on. Her motto is “How can I help?” We greatly appreciate Desiree and feel lucky she is on our team!
- SHOUT OUT to dapper Don Bassett in the Jewish Hospital main cafeteria. He has ALWAYS gone above and beyond to make sure the cafeteria is in tip top clean state. He wipes off tables, chairs and swipes the floors after EVERY person. Making sure we all can enjoy our meals in a clean and healthy atmosphere. He is the very BEST and ALWAYS has a warm smile and kind words that you can’t help but to say THANK YOU for all you do.
- My shout out this morning, goes to my superior, Missy Kersnick, who throughout this pandemic has been my “light” at the end of the tunnel. She has remained the sounding board for all of orthopedics for weeks and continues to be everyone’s saving grace. In a time of panic and unanswered questions, she continues to be the voice of reason when most of us just want to make “hurried” decisions, and always keeps the business and patients need at the forefront of all of her actions. No one else I would rather report to in this time of need.
- I want to give a huge shout out to Kimberly Fuchs, with ULP Pulmonary. We (kinda) jokingly call her the ‘universal remote’, because no matter what office or clinic needs help- she’s always the one to jump in and adapt as needed. Her pulmonary patients ask for her by name for a good reason, they can trust that their needs will be fulfilled. She’s one of the most kind-hearted, down to earth people I’ve ever met. Kim, thank you for your assistance in the COVID testing/screening sites. You rock!
- I would like to give a shout out and acknowledge Kim Mitchell and Kristina Koeppl at Peace hospital. I appreciate you for more than just your work. I also want to celebrate your character and the positive effect you have on others. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- I want to give a huge shout out to Tiffany Hood, Office Lead at ULP Mt Washington. To repeat Dr. Brewer’s words, Tiffany is the back bone of this office. Because of her leadership and her drive we were able to successfully implement Telehealth and continue to take care of our patients even during these challenging times. Next to her duties as Dr. Brewer’s MA she also supports Crystal, our NP at that location while her MA is out. She does an outstanding job floating back and forth between both providers. She upholds a wonderful positive attitude with our staff and our patients. Because of leaders like her we will get through this together and be successful in our Organization. She is a Healthcare Hero!
- I would like to give a shout out to the screening table workers in Shelbyville. Many of them have been put in situations they are both unfamiliar and uncomfortable, with but staff is managing it with compassion and grace and managing to make it fun. I would also like to thank Kelly Nolan for organizing the staffing of the tables. It is awesome to be part of such a GREAT team!
- Every day multiple patients pass by the ACB lobby temperature station entryway and stop to express their gratitude for the ULH team in providing compassionate, professional and safe care. Several patients have asked me to pass on their thanks for the ULH team when leaving. They feel safe that they are getting the best care during this pandemic.
- I would love to shout out to the Care Coordination Office at U of L. I am an RN Case Manager for this office. I have not been much assistance to them as I had been off work due to foot surgery only to return and then test positive for the COVID-19 virus and off again. I have kept up with their schedules and they have been working short-handed for some time now but due to their dedication and commitment to our patients, families and to UofL, they have managed to cover and make a difference in lives during this difficult time. I can’t say enough good things about them and our managers, Becky Kiesler and Whitney Trapp.
- I want to give a HUGE shout out to all the folks working at the COVID testing centers. They are out here in the community, literally on the front lines every day performing nasal swabs. They come in every morning with a smile on their faces, ready for whatever the day brings! Also, shout out to Lauren Hicks for being a rock star leader every single day!
- I’d like to give a SHOUT OUT to Mary Miles from ULP Orthopedics at Medical Center South. Our office has temporarily been displaced due to the covid outbreak and Mary continues to show up in a temporary location with a smile. She continues to make sure our South patients are well taken care of and happily adapts to whatever comes her way! It’s great to have her as a co-worker.
- The urology team has formed an in-person and telehealth patient work flow ensuring that our providers have a continuous flow and mix of telehealth and in-person visits. I have received several compliments from our patients thanking us for the work we are doing, knowing how difficult it may be at times, but showing appreciation for offering telehealth visits which allows the patient to stay at healthy at home. I am so proud of the team work they are exhibiting; greeting each patient with a smile whether in person or over the phone and doing whatever it takes to ensure every patient has an excellent experience. True Health Care Heroes!
- Thanks to Ralph Hall for so quickly resolving an issue with my downtown office check in check out areas. He had plexiglass installed within days. Thanks Ralph!
- Thank you to UL Health! Those of us former KentuckyOne folks are forever grateful that we have your leadership and guidance through this pandemic, it’s truly scary to imagine where we would be right now without you guys! #forevergrateful
- Our Respiratory Therapy Department at Mary & Elizabeth are the BEST!!! They go into dangerous situations every day and we just wanted them all to know how appreciated they are!!!
- I would like to give a Shout Out to Kim Meyer, PHD, APRN with ULP Neurosurgery! Kim has always been a team player, but she has gone above and beyond to cover any urgent patient needs in clinic. She is covering her team, as well as covering for those that are unable to be in the office. She is always available and responsive and everyone knows they can count on her! She is such an asset to ULP/ULH and to this community!
- I would like to give a shout out to my team at Crossroads. Therapists, nurses, and mental health techs have done a tremendous job stepping up to help the inpatient units during this strange and difficult time. The flexibility, grace, and effort put into helping patients have been so appreciated and noticed. There has been a lot of feedback from inpatient staff about how helpful their time on the unit has been. I have witnessed a lot of planning go into therapy groups and planning ways to better meet patient needs. Please Crossroads (Elem, South, and North) know that you are so very appreciated!!
- For Amy Capps, ED Mgr at UofL Health Shelbyville She has been updating our staff with the newest procedures and policies on a daily basis. She is also one of our counties disaster preparedness liaisons. Amy is an asset to our organization, facility, and community.
Are you seeing co-workers turn into health care heroes during this time of crisis? Give them a “shout out” so we can all recognize their extraordinary actions. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, department and how they are making a difference. Be sure to note “Shout Out” in the subject line.