- This event has passed.
Shelbyville Hospital blood drive
March 4, 2021 @ 8:00 am
One small thing can change someone’s life, or even save it. Patients suffering from trauma, injury or illness need a health care hero!
Shelbyville Hospital is hosting a blood drive from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. on March 4 in the Community Room. You can reserve your preferred donation time by clicking here. Be sure to enter the sponsor code: UofLShelbyville (all one word). You can also call 1-800-733-2767.
The American Red Cross is following FDA blood donation eligibility guidance for those who receive a COVID-19 vaccination, and deferral times may vary depending on the type of vaccine an individual receives. Good news, there’s no deferral time for donors that receive the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine!
At the blood drive, donors that received a COVID-19 vaccine will need to provide the manufacturer name when they come to donate. Upon vaccination, individuals should receive a card or printout indicating what COVID-19 vaccine was received and the Red Cross encourages donors to bring that card to their next donation.
Here are some additional details about eligibility guidelines for COVID-19 vaccine and blood donor eligibility:
- As stated above, there is no deferral time for individuals who are vaccinated with an inactivated or RNA based COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by Moderna or Pfizer.
- Individuals vaccinated with a replication defective virus COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by AstraZeneca or Janssen/Johnson & Johnson must wait two weeks before giving blood.
- Individuals who do not know what type of COVID-19 vaccine they received must wait four weeks before giving blood.
- Regardless of the type of vaccine an individual receives, all donors must be symptom free and feeling well at the time of donation. If an individual is experiencing any symptoms from the COVID-19 vaccine, the Red Cross asks that they postpone their donation until they are feeling better.
- For additional donor eligibility questions, please call or direct donors to 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).